Saturday, January 26, 2008

date night!

Michael's folks called today...they offered to come keep the kids so we could go out. This was the best thing that's happened all week. The anticipation was thrilling. We cleaned up and put on our cute "hip mom and dad" clothes. I fixed the mass of stuff growing from my head. The kids took naps, everybody was so pumped up about the evening.

They got here at 4:30. Brought supper with them. We grabbed our coats and got the heck outta dodge. We went first to Academy sports. For my bday, i wanted a jogging suit. The first one i tried on was way too "mom" looking. The second one was just too tight...i looked like a teal sausage. I was ready to get out of there so I grabbed some knit capris to hang around the house in and we left. Then we went to the mall...i wanted to see if maybe i could find a pretty dress for my bday instead of a jogging suit. i don't jog anyway. no dresses in the short run through dillards. michael said, "sweetie, this is fun, but i'm getting hungry". so we went to bonefish grill. i was so excited. we never are that extravagant...but getting out after a week with sick kids, we were ready to celebrate! we put our name on the list, they said 30 minute wait. okay, it was still early. we sat and waited with a couple that i've known all my life from awbc and pinelake. so that was fun. but eventually, we realized that it had been an hour and we were running out of time. so we checked and realized we weren't going to eat anytime soon, so we left. soulshine pizza was our next destination. so excited about the pizza. got there...20 minute wait, no empty tables at all. i'm not standing around anymore. so we left again. drove back to main street and thought, hey bbq would be tasty, let's do the haute pig! got there, remembered that we had been before and didn't like it. so we had to make a fast choice. we only had about 45 minutes to an hour before we had to be back. so...on our much waited for exciting date, we ate at....ChicFilA. yep. we ordered 2 number 1s...one coke, one lemonade. no wait whatsoever. we sat FAR away from the playground and ate our sandwiches in peace.

i was disappointed, yes. who wouldn't be? but you know, michael is so great. he is so patient and kind about everything. he laughs and makes it okay. he wants me to have the best, but also has a sense of humor about when that doesn't quite pan out. one of our favorite quotes is "when life gives you dilemmas, make dilemmonade!" so that's what we did. last night we stayed up till midnight playing "guess that movie quote" with online soundbytes from movies. so much fun. i'm so blessed to have him. i've known him for so long, and he's still the best person i know. so perfect for me.

so i'm going to go sit by our fire with my best friend and talk to him and maybe play another round of guess that quote and be thankful that less than perfect is always just right for me.

-thanks God, for giving me my husband. there is just nobody better for me. our relationship comes straight from you, because you knew what i needed and you provided it for me. thanks so much that the head of my home is a strong, kind, funny, Godly man who loves us so much. i'm in awe of what you can do through our marriage. please bless our children with loves like this one day. we don't deserve it, but we praise you and give you the glory for it. amen.

2 comments:

ADBulldawgs said...

We too had a "date" tonight. After I cooked supper for all of us and we ate at home, my sister kept the kids for a few hours while we went to Hudson's, Stein Mart, and Barnes & Noble. Not exactly riveting, but a nice break anyway. At least we have husbands willing to hang around while we shop!

Loustalot said...

That's awesome. I laughed out loud at the shopping venture...I think it was the teal sausage comment! Miss singing with you. The kids look so cute and I know they're keeping you busy!! k