Monday, February 11, 2008

People do this for a living...

Live-blogging, that is. people write about what they watch on tv, and make a good bit of money doing it. I personally think this is a perfect job for me. I have opinions, and I could write them down and make money. Who do I call to get this job?

Since I don't get to do this for a check...I'll write about last night's Grammy awards for free. It's not really live-blogging, considering the grammys were last night. But it's blogging nonetheless, and otherwise I'll end up writing about something that could be misinterpreted and then I'll have to apologize, and then it will be a big old convoluted mess.

I didn't watch the red carpet. I just can't go there anymore. So very shallow, talking about people's clothes.
The opening act, Alicia Keys, with Frank Sinatra...I thought this was amazing. I don't like R&B music, but I have to say that girl is so gifted. And I love Sinatra. I thought the cutout in the front of her dress was very unflattering (shallow, I know), but the song really set the tone for the 50th anniversary of the awards.
Now, I'm only going to write about what I can remember. It was too late last night to write right after the show, so this won't be about the whole thing.
I found myself watching the show with my kids (the first half) and being very thankful that the FCC has put all those restrictions on it. I didn't worry about anything being vulgar or inappropriate.
I really think Prince looks the exact same as he did when i was 8, and he sang "When Doves Cry".
Carrie Underwood looks like a Barbie. She's so pretty, but also very standard. But I loved the "Stomp"-like percussion in the background. That song is so very overplayed, but still catchy.
Faith Hill looked beautiful. She may be the prettiest person alive.
Tina Turner and Beyonce. This was a funny conversation I had with the kids: me:"You see that lady up there in the silver? She's been singing since before I was born. She's older than Nonna (my mom)" Aidan (yelling): "Hey dad! That lady is older than NONNA!!!!" But Tina can still move and Beyonce may be in the running with Faith for prettiest person alive. That was a great act. Slightly manic, but fun to watch.
Brad Paisley. Brad Paisley. Brad Paisley. I love him. I love that song. I kept wondering if he was up there thinking "I'm so lucky to be me. I'm singing about bugs to all these honchos, and they don't even get the joke!" He can do no wrong in my opinion. At least he better not!

The Beatles tribute. Okay...here's what I thought. Why??? So many good songs, why couldn't they have just had great bands of today cover them? I know that's not as artistic and creative, but I didn't get what happened up there. I think hearing more of the music would have been more of a tribute. But they didn't ask me.

I don't like the Foo Fighters. But Jason Bateman is so cute. He was cute on Silver Spoons with Ricky Shroeder.

Aretha Franklin is legendary.
Fergie is not. But at least she wasn't wearing plaid shorts and a crop top.

Amy Winehouse. She has bugged me for weeks. I don't get it. I wish someone would tell me why she's considered good. I watch her, I listen to her, and I just don't get it. Personal problems aside, her voice is awful and you can't understand what she's saying. Why is this considered talent?

I missed Andrea Bocelli and Josh Groban. I was truly sad about this. I'll have to watch it on youtube.

I think this is it for me. I wrote about the parts I had opinions on. Everything else I either didn't see, or didn't care about.

on a note about my weekend...everyone is healthy. we had fun around here. i shopped and found some great clothes for the girls. my mom and i had some really meaningful discussion. she told me some things i needed to hear and be affirmed about. i also dealt with the feeling of being alone. the only one choosing one direction when everybody else chooses another. but as usual, God showed me the truth. i am NEVER alone. he is with me. he guides my mind and heart to make my decisions and he will stand by me and help me understand why he wants me to live this way. and then as a bonus, he brings fabulous people into my life that lift me up, encourage me, and also have decided to live the same way.

God is life. all of life. He wants to be acknowledged in EVERYTHING i do. when i do this...i tap into a power that is greater than anything on this earth. God doesn't want to be part of our life, he wants to be all of our life. he can bring joy, peace, comfort, instruction, guidance, unconditional love...and so much more if we just turn over every part of ourself to him. he is truth. he does not lie. i have seen more and more in my adult life how crucial it is to seek him in everything i do. when i do that, i know my mistakes are still going to happen, but not as frequently. and i have a peace about the things i say and do.

but i've learned that when i do this, this giving of my whole self to God, i accept that i will be different. my choices will most likely not look like the world's choices. i've asked myself if it's worth it...giving up what i want to do for what i think he wants me to do...and the answer is always yes. my blessing far outweigh my sacrifices. and i don't even see it as sacrifice. i see living for Jesus as a no-brainer decision. he knows best. he will take care of me. i have a great, abundant life. just like he promised.

time to get on with the rest of my week...much love and prayers for all who stumble across my little space...

No comments: