Friday, February 1, 2008

We're moving on up....

the illness is becoming a thing of the past...so let's move on, shall we?
happy day today, Aidan's teacher called and all his friends said hey to him on the phone. That made him feel special. Then we went to the library and checked out 10 books for the kids. We've already read a couple of them twice! I'm so, so, so glad I have kids that like to read. Aidan has started reading small words and now is asking me what my emails say! The kids rode their scooters outside and have eaten a few meals now, so we're all getting better.

I've been thinking about things I like. This stems from a recent viewing of a scene in Sesame Street where Ernie asks Bert to name some things he likes. The result is a really cute song about how they don't always like the same things, but they like each other. It's one of my favorite SS moments (I love that show). Anyway, I thought I'd make a list thingy and then tag everybody that reads my blog to do one of their own. Weekend Fun!

5 Things I Like
1. Laughter. I like hearing it, I like doing it. I love getting really tickled, to the point that I can't stop laughing. I love trying not to laugh because something's funny in a serious setting. Weird, I know, but some of my best memories are of trying not to burst...handbell festival, Jennifer? I like people that make me laugh. My dad and I always can find something to laugh about. Michael cracks me up, but I tell him I'm the only one who would get his jokes. If I remember an event, it's usually because something funny happened.

2. Conversation. I love people, for the most part. I like discussions. I love talking to a friend who knows you so well that you can banter back and forth and there is no awkwardness or discomfort. I love conversations that make me feel good when they're over. One of the things that let me know Michael was it for me was that we never ran out of things to talk about. One of our first dates was ice skating and then sitting up till the wee hours with a quart of Breyer's vanilla bean ice cream and talking.

3. Good food. Over the past year, I've become a much better cook. I'm doing a lot from scratch and trying to stay away from processed, preservative-laden foods. No more cream of mushroom soup in this house! We're not really eating super-healthy...my still present baby weight is proof of that...but our food is better quality and I'm becoming much more skilled in the kitchen.

4. Church. Most people that know me or my family would see that word and go, "yep, Anne likes church, minister's kid...no shocker there". I never get a chance to explain why church is important to me...so here goes: I could worship my savior and spend time with him and love him with all my heart and put him first in my life...all by myself. I don't need church to have Jesus. I go to church because I think it's the best thing you can do to surround yourself with believers that will love and support you. The pastor at Pinelake has said many times, "Go on and say the church is full of hypocrites...that's where they need to be!" I have no problem with people in the church having issues...I'm just glad they're in church! My children know that Christ is the head of our family by what we say and do, and by us taking them to church. I love worshipping with lots of other people. I love fellowshipping. I love Bible Study. My life has been centered around church for so long...the people at my home church growing up raised me. They gave me a beautiful, big old wedding. They loved me and my family. I can't ever forget that. And they didn't do it because they had to, they did it because they have Jesus in their lives and they were ministering to us as we ministered to them. That's what it's all about.

5. Outdoor adventures. Quite a change from #4, but I can't have a list of things I like and not put this on there. I like skiing. I like white-water rafting. I like canoeing. I like hiking. For a non-athlete such as myself, I find great satisfaction in doing these things and being outdoors taking risks. I want to spelunk, rappell, scuba dive, and yes, skydive before I'm too old to enjoy it. But, I have to clarify, I'm not a true outdoorswoman. After a day of the aforementioned activities, I have to have a nice hotel to return to. No outdoor sleeping for me.


okay...here's the next part...

5 things I don't like
1. Not belonging. If I feel like it's going to be a lot of work to be a part of a group, then I'm outta there. I'm too old to dance the dance for people that put conditions on relationships.

2. People that complain about things that don't matter. If we could see the big picture, if we could look past our own selfishness, then a lot more would get done to help others. A lot more people would smile. And smiling is good.

3. Gaining weight. I don't like it. Doesn't mean I won't do it, but I don't like it.

4. Movies/TV shows with bad language. I can't find anything remotely necessary about cursing. If my kids can't hear it, then I don't want to hear it either. "Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouth..." I try to live by that.

5. Rude, unfriendly people. If someone has a job dealing with the general public, they should do it with a smile. Or at least an attempt at one. Eye contact will do.


and if you still don't have enough to do....
3 things I care nothing about. No opinion whatsoever.

1. Ashlee Simpson or Ashley Tisdale's nose. I don't care.

2. The stock market. We have no money anyway.

3. Darfur. Yes, I know something bad is going on over there. I know I should care. But I don't have time to read about it (but I have time do this). I know George Clooney cares about it...and that's motivation to look into it, but not today.


Okay...y'all do it. It helps me know you better...and vice versa. Have a happy weekend!

2 comments:

4 J's said...

you are too funny! You make me laugh. I can't even remember why I was at that handbell festival with you. I was not playing hadbells. Just shows what kind of social life I had at that point in time. That is my first memory of Clark G. He is hysterical! I remebering laughing until my stomach hurt and my face was tired from smiling. Good times...

Loustalot said...

Anne, this was great. Enjoyed reading about your likes and dislikes. You're right, does help you get to know a person better. I'll try and think of mine on the long flight home or baking in the sun in Hawaii :) k