Sunday, March 9, 2008

Wild and Wooly Weekend

Aidan's birthday was Friday. I have a 5 year old. It doesn't bother me so much that he's 5, but that I'm older because he is! Anyway, the day was great. It snowed, sort of, which is cool when it's your birthday. We stayed home Friday night and cooked breakfast for supper. Saturday was the Main Event. We had his party in the gym at church and the kids had a blast. We made sock rockets, which are socks filled with a cup of rice and then tied in a knot. They fly pretty good when you throw them, and all 17 or 18 of those things were whizzing past our faces. Nobody got hurt, and everybody laughed a lot. Mission accomplished. Dad organized some really cute relay races, and they had a great time. I was touched that so many of his buddies came. We've moved 4 or 5 times in his life, so for him to be in a place where he has made friends means a lot to me. He's a great kid, and I'm so proud of him. It makes me feel good as a mom to know that he's nice to people when I'm not around.

Today, we slept in. We remembered the time change, but I have a cold, and the house was a wreck. I stayed in bed till 9! I haven't done that in who knows how long. Then we had the church picnic this afternoon...and I had so much fun. It's great, now that Aidan and Molly are old enough to participate in things without me standing right there. I actually get to visit with people. I may surprise myself, but I think empty nest won't be a big deal for me. I really am very okay with the kids branching out. It may be different with Paisley, though. She's the baby, so I may hang on tighter to her.

So the weekend is over...and I laughed a lot. I learned a lot about some things that have worried me for a long time. I realized new ways I need to pray for my friends and family. I lived a lot of life, it seems, in 2 days. And I think I'm better now than I was on Friday night. God is continually working in my family. I love being a witness to what He's doing with my husband and kids.

My dad made a great DVD of pictures from the party, backed with some music by the Go Fish Guys. It's great, and if I figure out how to put it on here, then I'll share it with you! But I'll post pics anyway very soon.

Happy Monday tomorrow!

2 comments:

theglenns556 said...

The post about Aidan made me smile. My little guy is just 19 months old but I continually find pleasure in seeing him branch out. Maybe we can hang out during the Empty Nest Days because it seems we will both be okay! (I say that now! ha!)

ADBulldawgs said...

Sock rockets are the low-tech toy of the year. I really think Mark could make some serious flea market dough with a little tie-dye, a bunch of white tube socks, and an industrial size bag of rice!