Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Dreams and imaginings...

If you know me well at all (and seriously, how many people really know anybody well?) then you know that Nashville was my City of Dreams when I was a kid. I remember the day vividly when my dad brought home a record, Amy Grant's Age to Age. It changed my whole life. Up till then, I knew Sandi Patty songs and stuff my mom sang, plus a lot of kid stuff. But I had never heard anything quite like Amy Grant. I had a lower voice register than any other girl (and most boys) my age and for the first time, I could sing along with the record! I learned every word, every note. I read everything I could find on her. My wall became adorned with posters. I found out she lived in Nashville and had attended Vanderbilt. I had no idea what Vanderbilt was, but I wanted to go there. I read that she was 16 hours short of graduating. I had no idea how hours were counted in college and wondered for years why she didn't just go back for 16 hours and finish. That's like, 2 days, right?
Anyway...when I was 9 or 10, we took a vacation to Nashville, and I made my poor parents drive around till they found her house. Bless them. Then at her concert in 1989 (?) I got a backstage pass and met my hero. I was in 7th grade then, and after I met her, the magic faded. I discovered country music then and became aware of women like Barbara Mandrell (who I had watched on tv growing up, but had no idea of the extent of her ability), Reba McEntire, Kathy Mattea and Anne Murray. I couldn't sing Reba, but I wanted to perform like her. I watched the CMA awards EVERY year (still do!) and would write my acceptance speech for my future award in my diary. Although I think I was very aware that I would never do anything like that with my life, it was a wonderful dream, and I am thankful that mom and dad let me imagine like that and didn't treat me like I was an idiot.
So Nashville has always been the place where my childhood dreams led me to. I get goosebumps when I see the skyline and the "batman" building. The Opryland hotel is magical to me. My first time to go there was late, late at night with some of my most special friends in college. Oh, the adventure! We roamed and laughed and ate ice cream in that wonderful place. I can't go to Nashville without taking a walk through the atriums and thinking about how if I were a princess, this would be what my castle would look like.
So Michael and I had a wonderful time. I came home so relaxed and happy. I know I missed my Bible study night. I'm glad everyone had such a good time Tuesday. I just could not miss this opportunity. And honestly, Michael and I needed to just spend time together and finish our sentences, without being interrupted. I told him last night, "I think I've held your hand more this week than in the past 5 years!" I was reminded how cute, kind, funny, affectionate and crazy about me my husband is.
So this is me..Outside the country music Hall of Fame and museum. I love this quote, and I love the lady being quoted.

Our friends, Robbie and Jill Armstrong were in Nashville, too! Robbie was speaking at a camp, and I'm sure doing an awesome job. They have a precious little girl that I wish lived closer to Paisley. Her name is Hannah, and she's adorable. She loved the monkeys in the Rainforest Cafe.

I won't ever make it to the stage (that's an understatement!), but I made it to the steps. Next time we go, we'll see the show. Nobody I had heard of was performing last night, and we didn't have time to get the tickets.
Me, by a fountain in the Opryland Hotel. There are just so few good pics of me these days, I thought I'd include this one.
The kids have had a good week. However, last night Aidan woke up with a stomach bug and was sick all night. My dad had to take Aidan and Molly to my inlaws house so they could go to work. I'm so thankful that all worked out. Michael's folks brought them all to us this evening. I was so happy to see my sweet kids. They're feeling better and tomorrow will be business as usual, except that maybe I'll be a little more patient, a bit more relaxed, and hopefully a lot more fun. Aidan asks me a lot what I wanted to be when I was a kid. I always say a mom with great kids like them. Maybe tomorrow I'll tell them that I wanted to sing. And that God's plan was for me to sing to them. And that's the best stage and audience I could ever have.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

ADBulldawgs said...

Glad you had such a nice time!

Heath said he liked Kung Fu Panda, but there is a lot of "mean fighting" and it includes the word "butt." He thinks Aidan would like it, but he isn't sure it's appropriate for Molly and Paisley. I obviously have a 62 year old man trapped inside my 8 year old's body...

Nikki said...

I'm glad ya'll had such a great time. Those were great pictures, and thanks for sharing them. Glad you're back, and you do have a great voice that you should share more often in church!!!

carrie said...

i was obsessed with reba as a kid. i really thought i was going to be a country singer and meet her and sing together at the CMAs. i had a plan, and of course it all worked out exactly as i planned...
opryland hotel is one of my favorite places too.
anyway, i wish we could have hung out other than dance class while i lived here. we're going back next week, and moving back for good at the end of the month. seriously, next time you come up to nashville, let me know, and i'll get tickets to something good.