Wednesday, July 9, 2008

I remember...

I have a great memory. This is good and bad. I can remember conversations, what I wore, who I was with, where we went. But I also can remember every embarrassing thing I've ever done. July 10, 1999 is a day I remember almost every minute of, and I'm so glad.

I remember singing with my friends in the bride's room. I wasn't nervous AT ALL. I just wanted to marry Michael.

I remember throwing the top layer of my wedding dress over my head and pretending to be a ghost and getting lipstick on my dress.

I remember the silly poem my cousins wrote for me. All inside jokes, and very, very funny. Thank you Clyde.

I remember my brother streaking through the house after his shower that morning. He actually wasn't streaking, he was dancing, and his towel fell off. Mom and I were in tears from laughing.

I remember wondering if it should be weird that my high school boyfriend was a groomsman. It wasn't.

I remember waiting with my dad after the bridesmaids had gone in. We had so much fun. I think the photographer wanted sweet and sentimental. We didn't give it to him. Dad had a wedding to perform, he couldn't get all gushy.

I remember my dad ushering people in, and when he was reprimanded for doing that (since he was the father of the bride) he said, "I can do what I want! Are you paying for this??"

I remember walking down the aisle. I remember Michael's face. That's why I had the ushers tell everybody to stay seated when I entered. I wanted to see his face. He grinned at me, and nothing else in the world mattered at that point.

I remember the flowers not being what I ordered. I was upset, briefly, until dad hung the bridesmaid dress hanger around his neck and stood on the stage and showed me that the red would not clash with the dark pink. It really looked great.

I remember the indescribable feeling of hearing almost every person I know and love singing my favorite hymn, "Worthy of Worship", and being shaken to the core with emotion.

I remember my little brother standing up there trying not to cry. I'm glad he got to stand on my side. If I could have had a best man, he'd have been it.

I remember Michael at the reception stopping to talk with EVERY person he saw. I did the, "hey! so glad you came! Thanks!" But Michael shook hands and said, "how's the job going?" He worked the crowd slowly, but he let everyone know how glad he was they were there.

I remember Michael being afraid to lift my dress above my calf. I think he was just uncertain about all those layers of tulle. I hiked it up, and showed him the garter. Then he got the idea.

I remember my sweet 11 year old cousin catching the bouquet. She was so beautiful and grown up in her red dress.

I remember the rose petals being tossed at us as we ran to Michael's mustang.

I remember the happy sadness as we drove off, and wondering if I truly showed my parents how grateful I was for such an awesome, worshipful, fun, delightful, beautiful day.

I remember being alone with Michael for the first time in the car and the peace that came over me that I had made the best decision in my life, after following Christ.

So many other memories. But this post would be longer than it already is. I love my husband. He is my best friend. If you've read other posts you know how I feel about him, so I won't repeat myself.

That day was great. Our life since then has been greater. I'm excited about what God's going to do in the next 50 years!



I had to doctor the pics a bit. We don't have a scanner, so Michael took pictures of my pictures. They're not great, but it gives you the idea. There are not many things I'd have changed about that day. I'd have had our pictures taken before the ceremony. I'd have shortened the ceremony, maybe. I liked it long, but my bridesmaids didn't have on isotoner slippers like I did! I'd have had a funkier cake. I didn't care about the cake. It was pretty, but I would have had something more "me". We certainly would have picked a different honeymoon destination. But all those things are so small...now they're just memories. Michael and I have learned and loved and lived and are having a wonderful time.

Ecclesiastes 4:9. Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their work: If one falls down, his friend can help him up. But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up! Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm. But how can one keep warm alone? Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

theglenns556 said...

That made me tear up! How sweet! I didn't realize we were married the same year. Big #10 is next year for both of us. Any big plans for y'all?

The Ainsworth Family said...

what great memories. i didn't even think about having people sit down so that i could see kyle. i remember thinking i can't see him upfront is he really there. my dad told me he was..... i remember saying my vows and i was talking so low my mother asked me if i really said them. we just laughed because i am a loud person and i said them so low. i told mother i was saying them to kyle not everyone else there. have a happy day!!!!!!

4 J's said...

Wow...that brought back fun memories! And Isotoner slippers would have been wonderful! Y'all look so young! Me and Joey look like 12 year olds in our pictures!