Sunday, July 6, 2008

Water fun and watermelon!

The Fourth of July is becoming one of my favorite holidays. I guess I don't remember it being a big deal as a kid. Usually we went to an extended family member's home, and that was always fun, but we didn't have any traditions of our own.


My dad spent all day Thursday getting ready for Friday. Victor, our good friend, came over and helped, and they created a water playland in the backyard. I'd say it was for the kids, but I think Michael, John Mark, Daddy and I had just as much fun!


After we wore ourseves out running up the hill and sliding, we ate mom's bbq sandwiches and all the fixings, and rode to Liberty Park, where the kids gorged on watermelon, danced to the band, and enjoyed a wonderful fireworks display. It was the best fireworks they've ever done. We've gone to Liberty park every year, and that's just getting to be one of my favorite things to do all summer.


It was a great day. It was as fun as Christmas, but without the stress of having to buy gifts. I'm hoping dad will rig up the slides again for Labor Day!


I have tons of pics and videos...enjoy!




This is my little brother, John Mark and I racing on the blue slide. If I had just done the belly flop, I'd have had a fighting chance. Later on, Michael and I raced UP the slide, and it was pretty funny. The slide had about half a bottle of baby oil on it, so it was slick!






My dad and Victor built a zip line between two of the big trees in the woods. They used a swing for the seat. As you can tell by Aidan's face, it was a hit!



This is the backyard. The zip line is behind the tube slide, and the trampoline is above the blue slide. The tube is a culvert that my dad found last year down the street that never was used. He put it in the truck and dragged it to the hill. With a lot of water and baby oil, it's a great slide!





Aidan, zipping out of the slide.





Mark, my dad, the ringmaster of the circus. Wonder who he was shooting with the hose in this pic





Molly, just a swingin....





Paiz did the slide too! She sat on G's tummy and slid down like the big kids!






I think Aidan ate 5 pieces of watermelon! He loves it!





Molly calls it a "waterlemon"











It was all just too much for Michael...




Victor (or Mista Victa, as Molly says) brought 3-D glasses for the fireworks!



The fireworks were about to start. A great end to a great day. I have so many more pics to choose from...this was hard! And a quick word of clarification...I have tons of pictures of my precious niece and nephews, but they have a blog too, so I thought I'd just share my kids here and let them put their pics on their blog, if they want to.

One more video...this is Molly dancing to the band, and just as she's really getting into it, Aidan jumps in the video and has to go to the bathroom. His face is priceless.

And the next morning was the hot air balloon in our yard...but this post took me an hour...I'll do that one another time!

1 comment:

Kimberly said...

This looks like too much fun. Glad you all had a wonderful 4th of July.