Saturday, August 9, 2008

Can I take a 16 day hiatus?

Nah...I'm sure I'll have way too much to say between now and then, but be aware that my attention is in Beijing. Pretty much all day long.

The Olympics are a big deal around here. I've always been completely fascinated and awed by Olympic sports. I love geography and world trivia, so I love the ceremony, with Bob Costas delivering interesting facts about countries I have never heard of. Last night, I enjoyed learning about nations such as Tuvalu, an 8 square mile island in the Pacific.

I was blown away by the lighting of the cauldron. I hope nobody ever tops that.

My favorite thing about the Olympics is the stories. I have cried all day thinking about the 9 year old boy who saved himself and 2 friends from the rubble during the recent earthquake in China. Seeing him revered as a hero, walking next to Yao Ming, was a major tearjerker.

**I've been trying to compose this post for several minutes now. Usually words are not a problem. I love the Olympics. I love what it stands for, and the honor a medal brings to a nation. I'm not sure I can put into words how much fun watching the competition is for me and my family.

So I'll just say this, as I get ready to watch Dara Torres swim...

I was really struck last night during the parade of nations at the USA athletes. Our country is so young, and so diverse. I felt very blessed to be part of a country composed of so many colors and cultures. Other countries are their own culture, and that's wonderful. They shape what is wonderful about the world. But America is a perfect blend of all that's good about this planet Earth that we live on.

And Jesus died for every person alive. EVERY SINGLE ONE. Inside we all have the same need for love, forgiveness, peace and joy, and He died so we can all have it. I was so overwhelmed last night, watching the parade in a stadium of 91000, plus the athletes and performers. God loves every single one of them, and blessed them with amazing talent. He is the same God that cares about where my kids are going to school. I just don't know that I'll ever get over it. Inside we are all the same, and we all need Jesus.

He's better than a gold.

1 comment:

carrie said...

i'm watching gymnastics right now, trying to imagine being in the place of the moms of those girls! unbelievable stress!
during the parade the other night, i thought it was interesting how some of the countries the athletes came from were smaller than the audience in the stadium that night. that would be so intimidating.
(btw, the girls are taking gymnastics INSTEAD of dance this year! pretty big deal around here to give up dancing on stage. i'll let you know how it goes.)