Tuesday, August 12, 2008

The Peanut Gallery

Nastia is on the beam...I'm a nervous wreck. The peanuts are long gone. They barely made it through Phelps' first medal of the evening.

I can't watch another interview with Bela Karyoli (is that how you spell it?) He is like a cartoon. Great, great man, but just a little too much.

Did anyone hear the announcer talk about the Chinese girl that entered gymnastic camp at age 3, saw her parents maybe once a year, then called and said she wanted to come home and they wouldn't let her. It was too important to the family. Maybe that's why the girls never smile. Either that, or those hair clips are pulled just a bit tight.

These gymnasts have some painful looking hairdos.

I like Shawn Johnson. If my body were that small, I could flip it around like that, too.

Michael Phelps almost flashed us again. Those suits are either really tight and restricting, or he just is proud of what 5 hours a day of swimming does to your body.

Speaking of appearances...swim caps look good on nobody. And what's up with the goggle marks on Katie Hoff's eyebrows? I'm just saying what you all are thinking.

Marta is comforting Alicia Macaroni. I'm not being rude, I just can't remember her last name. That's got to be so hard, falling during a floor routine. Then having a camera in your face while you're waiting for a score you'll hate. Sacramone, that's her name.

Nastia is great, but her dad makes me nervous. He's quite the overbearing one.

Team USA is finished with the rotations.

No matter how many times they show commercials for the new Christian Slater show, I won't watch it.

I found out tonight that Michael has to go to work early and I have to drop the kids off. That's always my time to show the teachers just how awful I can look. It's quite impressive, really.

Oh, there's Bela. Again.

I just cannot believe the Chinese gymnasts are 16 years old. This girl is no more than 9.

Molly asked me tonight why they were still in China. I told her the whole Olympics would be in China, and then when she's 7, they'd be in London, England. She said, "Am I going to be in the gymastics in those Olympics, Mom?" I told her no, that you had to be 16. She told me she wished she could be 16 so she could do gymastics at the Olympics. I told her if she worked hard, she could do it. For her sake, I wish I could put a lot of faith behind those words, but I'm too much of a realist. Luckily, she turned her attention to the synchronized diving and became instantly enamored of the purple bathing suits worn by Mexico. She said that she had to have one. I will buy the girl a Speedo suit, and take her to gymnastics class, if she will continue to dream.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay...

1) I had THE biggest crush on Christian Slater in junior high and high school and I feel like I'm 15 again just thinking about his new show. HA! The closer to getting my PhD the more relieved I am that it has not changed my goofiness.

and 2) One of the greatest things I remember about watching the Olympics when I was a little girl was the possibility that one day I WOULD be on that floor doing my routine but I will admit that it bugged me that everybody's hair was so ugly. Good for Molly, dream away, sweetheart!

love you guys!

Stephanie

Nikki said...

Hehe, I love you writing style... and Michael Phelps :)

Nikki
www.madebynikki.blogspot.com for a fresh look to help a great cause!

Heather Avery said...

Or maybe the little chianese girl is 13...like they are now saying....