Sunday, August 24, 2008

Name that Tune

Aidan and I went to a birthday party at Pump It Up yesterday. We hardly ever get to be by ourselves to talk and hang out. We laughed and joked on the way over and had a great time at the party (Pump it Up is one of those places that if you don't have fun, it's so your own fault!)

On the way home, we're crossing the Spillway, and I was flipping through the radio. I got to an oldies station and "Lean On Me" was playing. I start singing, "You just call on me brother, when you need a hand...."

After a second or two, I thought I couldn't take anymore, so I changed the station, and Aidan said, "Mama! Go back to that song!" I did. Really, I had only played about 3 or 4 seconds of the song. Apparently he liked what he heard.

He told me, "That's the same guy that sings the song about 'No Sunshine When She's Gone'"!

He was right, but how on earth did he know that?

I asked him if he'd heard "Lean On Me" before and he said "No, but the man's voice is familiar, and I know he sings the sunshine song with all the I knows!"

You know that song..."I know, I know, I know, I know...." It's on during that scene in Notting Hill where Hugh Grant is walking through London and the seasons are changing. One of my favorite movie scenes ever. Aidan's never seen the movie (duh!) but he's heard the soundtrack in the car and he loves that song.

So my buddy can pick out voices within a few seconds. I'm thinking either a career in music, or the FBI.

I told him, "Dude, that's amazing!"

He replied, "Well, I AM very smart!"

And quite humble, I might add.

2 comments:

Jenibug7 said...

Truly- that is AMAZING! I just now, at 31, am beginning to be able to do that! (and boy do I get fired up when I am right!)

cmclean22 said...

kennedy has the same ability! (although she's especially good at recognizing obscure jonas brothers songs-she has a bit of a crush on them.) weird talent for a little one. i'm sure they'll both end up the brilliant musicians their mothers always wanted to be.